I just bought a new printer specifically searching for one that is toner refill friendly. After reading on this site that the Brother MFC-9340CDW would be a good candidate, I went for it.
The printer is, all in all, great. It does duplex printing and has a duplex ADF; not that I need that one, I’m using a ScanSnap S1500M for page scanning; yet it is good to know to have a flatbed scanner. The printer works very well with MacOS.
Now, the above mentioned website shows a way to reset the toner counter by moving a plastic wheel on the cartridges. I’ve not had to do that so far, as I have printed only a couple pages with it. But I thought, there should be an easier way to reset the toner counter.
Here is how it works:
- First, get to the home screen. If you are stuck at a “Toner Low” or “Replace Toner” message, just press the red X.
- Press the Fax button on the touch screen so that you can locate the asterisk key. Hover your finger over it, without actually pressing the key.
- Press the home button to get to the home screen.
- Open the top as if you wanted to replace toner; it is sufficient to open it just a little.
- Now, as your finger was still hovering over where the asterisk key would be, with the top open, now press and hold the asterisk key for something like 10 seconds.
- The Reset Toner screen will show up, from where you can reset any or all counters.
- When done, just close the top and wait for the printer to finish its test routine.